By: Courtney Vande Vorde
Melinda is a junior, running her first year of cross country. She isn’t the only Overbeek to run cross for Hamilton. Two of her older sisters, Jacquee and Elizabeth, both participated in Cross as well. Jacquee now runs Cross for Central Michigan and Liz has just qualified for the Boston Marathon. We had a chance to ask Cross Country coach, Pertner, about Melinda and her first year of cross.
“She has been a difference maker in every meet this year and thus our entire season. She is our number 5 girl (the last girl that scores for the team). Her work ethic has been superior and she is the exemplar of what it means to be a great teammate.” (Pertner)
How have you enjoyed your first year of cross country?
- “I have loved my first year of cross. It has been an absolute blast to be on the team and get to know the people.”
Why did you decide to switch from volleyball? Did your sisters have any influence on your switch to XC?
- “I decided to switch to cross country because I wanted to branch out and meet new people, also I wanted to try something new. My sisters encouraged me to do cross country because they both loved it and knew that I would enjoy it a lot.”
What are your cross country goals?
- Personal: Run a 19:50
- Team: Make it to team state
What is a favorite high school memory?
- “I would say one of my favorite high school memories so far is hosting with the Spanish exchange program. I loved getting to meet people from around the world, its incredible the relationships you make over the 2 weeks that they are here.”
What is a cool fact most people don’t know about you?
- “I love to do mission work in Guatemala.”
Some of Melinda’s favorite things…
- Song: From the Inside Out or Glorious Day
- Food: Graham Crackers
- Movie: She’s the Man
- Candy: Sour Patch Kids
- Color: Teal or Purple